Saturday, September 15, 2007

Cut off by a car while biking 2:45 pm

Yesterday, Friday September 14, I crashed my bike into the side of a Toyota 4Runner that turned right across my path. I never lost consciousness but ended up in the hospital with a fractured pelvis. The police and paramedics arrived and I filled out a police report. Here are the rest of the details as best I can recall:


  • I had just started from the parking lot of the Myers Park UMC. I was riding with DAvid Frame who was behind me at the point of the accident.
  • It had just started to rain. The only reason we decided to go was that we had cancelled a ride that morning due to rain and it turned out some other riders went ahead and rode. Plus, the weather forecaster had been wrong already about the whole day being a drenching. We assumed this was a brief passing shower.
  • We chose to ride this route due to its popularity with the cycling community which we felt made it a safer route. Also, we were both extremely familiar with the circuit. We decided to avoid other roads in the vicinity since it was nearing rush hour on a Friday afternoon.
  • We were riding on Queens Road which becomes Selwyn Avenue near Queens University. It is a two lane road with a 35 mph limit. At the point of the accident the left lane becomes a "left turn only" lane. The right lane continues straight. There was no dedicated right turn lane.
  • The accident occurred at the intersection of Queens and Radcliffe.
  • We were riding single file about 3 feet left of the right curb in the right lane. Our rate was about 18 mph at the accident site.
  • As I approached the intersection of Queens and Radcliffe I became aware that a vehicle was overtaking me on my left side.
  • I heard David call out an alarm behind me "she's turning!" and I immediately applied the brakes. Suddenly the vehicle turned across my path.
  • I immediately realized that a) it was a Toyota Forerunner and b) an impact was unavoidable.
  • The front wheel of my bike impacted the Forerunner at the right rear quarter panel, immediately behind the right rear wheel well.
  • My bike and I slammed to the pavement, which was black asphalt.
  • The brunt of my impact was borne by my left thigh, in the vicinity of the superior process of the femur (the greater trochanter.)
  • I immediately felt severe pain emanating from my thigh. At that point I had come to a stop and was able to roll onto my back with my legs bent at the knees.
  • I could hear David getting off of his bike. I was also aware of several bystanders who came forward with offers to help. I remember screaming loudly 4-5 times as I rolled onto my back.
  • I was asked if I wanted to move and declined. I was unable to extend my left leg. I was able to extend the right leg. At that time I was more furious than anything.
  • Most of my pain was in my hip. At that time I had no idea what was wrong and suspected a broken femoral neck or hip socket joint.
  • When the firemen arrived they began examing my neck and spine. I had no pain in either. I stated that my head did not impact the pavement.
  • The driver of the Forerunner asked me "Are you all right?" while I was lying on the pavement in obvious pain.
  • A nursing student from Queens University stopped her car to block traffic and shield me until the authorities could arrive.
  • Shortly thereafter, the police arrived and began asking similar questions. I again stated no head impact.
  • The Medics arrived and attempted to lift me but there was too much pain on the left side of my hip. I still could not extend my left leg at the knee. They used a scoop to put me on the stretcher and load me into the ambulance.
  • A different police officer came into the ambulance and asked questions while they prepared me for transport.
  • The female medics name was "Maudy." I'm unsure of the spelling. She rode in the back with me and attempted to stabilize my left leg, which was still bent at the knee.

No comments:

Blink XT2 Thumbnail Failed Fix

Well, this is a bit frustrating. I have one outdoor Blink XT2 camera from Amazon which I installed about a year and a half ago...or maybe tw...