Monday, September 24, 2007

Progress Report

I've been walking with crutches for a few days now and am still getting the hang of them. They're more manuverable than the walker but I think more tiring.

Yesterday, Sunday, was a very active day, relatively speaking. I read the paper and sat on the couch until 11 am or so. Then we went to the new Chipotle right around the corner. A FEDEX Kinko's just opened up in that same development.

If I wasn't hurt, I would finish the small section of fence/gate that I started the week before last. I didn't get a chance to finish it due to some thunderstorms and the early onset of darkness. Instead, I, with Elizabeth's help, went through my closet culling out old or worn shirts for charity. We filled a donation bag with 2 sport coats, 1 pr of shoes, 2-3 slacks, and 4-5 shirts.

Although I can get out of bed by myself, I still need help dressing/undressing. Getting out of bed requires hooking my good leg under the bad, squirming around until I'm perpendicular to the edge of the mattress, then lowering my legs to the floor. A short stool by the bedside helps to shorten the distance. Then I can stand up on my own and use crutches or walker to get to the bathroom.

I'm able to drop my pants, etc. and get in the shower. Getting in the tub requires bracing myself on something stable (walker, wall, etc.) then lifting my bad leg behind me and stepping over the tubside backwards. Once in the tub I can pretty much stand in the same place, occassionally bracing against the enclosure walls.

Getting out of the tub is kind of the same. I go very slow and brace myself, then out with the good leg, then the bad. I cannot bring my bad leg forward yet. It is too painful in the front of my thigh and pelvis. Since I can't reach down that far, Elizabeth has to dry off my legs.

Getting dressed still requires a lot of assistance. I can't bend down far enough to reach the ground so Elizabeth has to help me put on underwear, pants, socks and shoes.

No comments:

Blink XT2 Thumbnail Failed Fix

Well, this is a bit frustrating. I have one outdoor Blink XT2 camera from Amazon which I installed about a year and a half ago...or maybe tw...