Thursday, September 20, 2007

Thursday Progress 9/21

Last night I slept from about 9:30 until about 3. I laid flat on my back and could not turn onto either side. I got very uncomfortable being in that same position and so was awake from 3 am onward. Finally I got out of bed at 5 am and into the shower.

I was able to get out of bed on my own and made it to the shower with the walker. It took several minutes for the journey.

I also awoke with a sinus headache around my left eye orbit. With breakfast, which consisted of grape nuts trail mix and cheerios, I took a sudafed cold and sinus. All in all I felt achy and stuffy headed. I was also very fatigued. Around 8 am I decided to call in sick to work and notified them.

I laid on the couch and watched a DVD TV show and napped for a few minutes. Then we had lunch with Caroline.

At 12:45 pm I had an appointment with Dr Mahdav Karunakar, an orthopedist at CMC orthopedics. Due to an incompetent nurse, we sat in the lobby for 45 minutes while she searched for my chart. Once we informed her that I was a new patient, as I had already done on the phone, we got in shortly.

The main order of business was updating my xrays. They shot three angles from above, head on, and below. Each one showed the same things; three clear breaks of the pubis, ilia, and ischial bones. The doctor explained each xray and clarified the locations of each break. He indicated the breaks were complete lateral fractures and not merely longitudinal cracks or fissures.

The xray nurse told me they get about 3 of those types of fractures per month and that she can tell from the patient's faces that they are very painful.

Lastly, they set me up with a pair of crutches which I can use depending on how things feel. The crutches allow more manueverability around tight places in the house. They are more painful to use on long walks. I don't think I'm any faster on them compared to the walker.

All of the walking within CMC made my fatigued. As I get tired, the area under the pelvis gets very tight. I think it is due to the ligaments, etc. being stressed from doing the job normally done by the bones.

In summary, I did not aggravate the injuries the other day by walking. The doctor encouraged as much movement as possible. He did confirm the 3 breaks are still visible and that it would be several weeks before the healing is complete.

I got extremely tired from all of the activity and went to bed by around 10.

No comments:

Blink XT2 Thumbnail Failed Fix

Well, this is a bit frustrating. I have one outdoor Blink XT2 camera from Amazon which I installed about a year and a half ago...or maybe tw...