Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Switching to a more neutral running shoe, the Brooks Ghost.

I've worn Asics 21xx series for years starting from when they were the 2060's up until my just retired 2170's. These are a stability shoe with a medium amount of pronation control. My running style, if you can call it such, as evolved over the years from a flat footed heel striker to now more of a forefoot striker. I think this is good although being a forefoot striker puts a lot more stress on my calves (soleus and gastrocnemius.)

According to "Born to Run", the book that rewrote...the book, on running, the forefoot striking style is how we were "born to run" so once you're adapted to it, it should work better for you.

What I've found is that my shoes wear, and my feet hurt, right under the 2nd ball joint of both feet. Most people push off of their big toe joint so they have a lot of shoe wear, and callouses, under that joint. I'm a little strange I suppose.

On the advice of my chiropractor (whom I was seeing for a calf strain) I decided to try out a more neutral shoe. After trying a pair of Newtons and an Asics Gel Kayano, I went with a pair of Brooks Ghost. This was on Monday of this week (today is Wednesday.)

I went for a quick 3 mile run on Monday and immediately felt much more stress on my calves. This is because the sole is more flexible than my old Asics. My forefoot felt a lot better cushioned however I still felt most of the impact and push off on my 2nd ball joint. I think this is a matter of my style and I may be able to shift slowly more over to my big toe over time.

I did a 5.7 mile hill workout today and felt pretty awesome so fingers crossed that this was a good shoe choice.

No comments:

Blink XT2 Thumbnail Failed Fix

Well, this is a bit frustrating. I have one outdoor Blink XT2 camera from Amazon which I installed about a year and a half ago...or maybe tw...