Tuesday, June 11, 2013

I am improving

When I re-started my triathlon training program this past January I guess I thought it was mostly going to help me build stamina and endurance, but I never thought I would be fast. I'm starting to doubt that now...that I will remain slow, that is.

I've never been a fast runner By any stretch of the imagination. When I was doing a few tri races back in the early years of the century I think I got a 5k PR of around 25 mins and a 10k in the low 50's. but being out of shape and not really training for almost a decade has taken its toll on me. In January, the best per mile times I could muster were in the 10:30-11:00 minute range. 

The last two times I've run though I've averaged in the lower 9 minute range which I have to say, seems very surreal to me.

When I look back and assess what's going on, I'm excited to report that I've actually felt like I'm making progress. What I mean is that my pace was the same for many weeks and months as my body adapted to the shock of running. Actually, my body rebelled at the added demands. First, my knees ached so badly that even walking was painful. I applied ice and rubbed the tops of my Tibia hoping that it was just tendinitis. Luckily, it was. Unfortunately I strained a calf muscle about half a mile from finishing a short 4 mile run.  Lots of ART therapy and stretch training seems to have fixed it, but it still is painful.

No comments:

Blink XT2 Thumbnail Failed Fix

Well, this is a bit frustrating. I have one outdoor Blink XT2 camera from Amazon which I installed about a year and a half ago...or maybe tw...