Thursday, September 15, 2005

Wireless Broadband?

I've been thinking about canceling my Verizon PDA data plan that I use on my Samsung i600 smartphone. The reason is that the 1X data is only useful for emails and not much else. Since I travel with a laptop 100% of the time, it would make more sense to get an EV-DO card and the broadband data service ($59.99 per month.) I've heard the Kyocera KPC-650 card has the best reliability and throughput...this from a Verizon Wireless System Performance Engineer (aka Test Man.)

Believe it or not, I actually still call Verizon Wireless customer service every now and then. I've found on my monthly calls to them several comforting certainties:
1. I'll be put on hold a minimum of 5 minutes after navigating their unclear voice prompts and end up hitting 0 anyway.
2. The rep won't have a clue about wireless data. In fact, I explained the difference between EV-DO and 1XRTT just the other day to someone who thanked me with an "Oh" of dismissal.
3. There will be a new rate plan they'll be happy to sign me up for, in exchange for a 2 year contract extension.

The only thing worse than their phone support is their store support as this guy recently found.

No comments:

Blink XT2 Thumbnail Failed Fix

Well, this is a bit frustrating. I have one outdoor Blink XT2 camera from Amazon which I installed about a year and a half ago...or maybe tw...