Friday, April 04, 2008

"Can only access google sites"

Yesterday (or last night really) I was in the Las Vegas airport waiting for the redeye to leave and wanted to use my aircard to catch up on web-related stuff. However, after connecting with VZ Acess Manager, I could only load my google pages (either google main or news.) The news links were up-to-date but I could only see the google results. Trying to goto the source article didn't work; my browser timed out after several seconds of waiting (I have no patience for slow page loads.)

I was monitoring the throughput rate and it was zero for every page I tried except google. I thought it was a problem with Verizon's EVDO system and didn't have time to mess with it fully.

Actually a few hours earlier at CTIA some colleagues were using my computer to access webmail. IE seemed to work fine then. The terminal was too crowded to mess around with it then.

When I got to Atlanta (at 5:30 am) I tried it again and still no luck. So I ruled out the Verizon network. Just in case it was spyware/malware I did a restore to the prior day. I had time to determine that it still wasn't working. I tried running my registry cleaners (ccleaner and tune-up utilities) without any luck.

Finally I got home and after a short nap did some research on another internet pc. I searched for the phrase "can only access google" and found a lot of hits. However, there wasn't just one solution. Most of the solutions involved highly detailed malware troubleshooting which I just am not into.

I did a restore to an earlier date, about 3 days ago, and the problem was resolved. I'm not sure what caused it but it must be related to a webmail site or something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny thing is that I also have the same issues. I have a ADSL modem with a seperate wireless router. On my wireless network I have 3 laptops, two are Windows XP (one of those is less than 1 week old) whilst one is a Mac (Mac's don't get viruses).

I have since reset the modem, connected a laptop directly into the modem, tried manually setting the IP and DNS and I just cannot make it work!

The interesting thing is that right now I am getting the problem where I can only access Google and then also I can occasionally access other sites. I can ping my router, my ISP, Google but not Microsoft.com or major banks / sites.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a filter or security setting at the ISP? - I contacted the ISP and after the useless person at the other end finished going through their knowledgebank I now have to wait whilst they escalate the problem to someone else.

Very strange?

Blink XT2 Thumbnail Failed Fix

Well, this is a bit frustrating. I have one outdoor Blink XT2 camera from Amazon which I installed about a year and a half ago...or maybe tw...