Thursday, October 17, 2013

Inspirational post borrowed from another first time Ironman finisher

I read this in a newsletter from TrySports. It was written by one of their employees, a 45 year old who just completed an Ironman event this past August. As I near the end of my training for Ironman AZ, this reminded me of what got me into this endeavor, and what has gotten me through it. 


By Terry Collins, TrySports Wilmington:

"What inspires me?  It seems that these days, I'm asked this proverbial question quite often.  Just to give you a little background, I decided at the age of 45 to complete my first full Ironman this past August in Mont Tremblant after just two years of competing in the sport of triathlon.  What was I thinking? Could I do this?  I took a huge leap of faith and decided that I had to give it a try!  At this point in my life, I didn't want to risk not knowing what I could have done.  This season hasn't been without difficulties as I sustained a broken collarbone from a cycling accident.  As you can imagine, I needed the encouragement of many others to get me through some tough times.  Again, the question beckons, what inspires me?  Here are a few.....

I'm inspired by my training partner who motivates me and holds me accountable, even when I don't want to complete that tough workout!  Before the start of the Ironman, his words, "Be confident - you can do this", gave me the courage to start that incredible day. 

I'm inspired by my fellow TrySports co-worker and good friend who messaged me before the start of the race and said, "We are with you".  Those words kept me going during my lowest points in the race.   

I'm inspired by my coach as she will complete her 9th Ironman this year! Her words of encouragement kept me going through injury and the tough times. It's because of her that I write the words, "Your life is now" on my arm before every race.  

I'm inspired my fellow TrySports co-workers.  You not only encouraged me along the way, you encourage others and embody the spirit of believing in yourself to reach that goal.  

I'm inspired by my fellow athletes that I see on "The Loop" at Wrightsville Beach swimming, biking, and/or running every morning before the sun rises.  While you have may have full time jobs, families, and other commitments, you are out there giving it everything you have.  

Maybe you are thinking about completing your first 5K, marathon, or Ironman.  You might be saying to yourself, "Can I do this?"  In the book Ironstruck, Ray Fauteux writes about the fear of lining up and starting on race day.   He says, "There are hundreds of athletes who will feel the same as you on race morning.  That is one of the things that makes this event so amazing.  You are all on the same journey together."  It could be that you want to get in better shape, improve your overall health, or get a faster time.  Whatever your goal, know that you are not alone.  Many others have overcome adversity to make it to the start line, and you will, too!  Along the way, you will become the inspiration for others to begin that journey and take that leap of faith as I did.   So when I'm asked the question, "What inspires me?" -  I'm inspired by YOU! 




Keep believing and achieving!"












Terri Collins
TrySports Wilmington

No comments:

Blink XT2 Thumbnail Failed Fix

Well, this is a bit frustrating. I have one outdoor Blink XT2 camera from Amazon which I installed about a year and a half ago...or maybe tw...