Tuesday, April 11, 2006

George Lucas Sighting


So I'm in Las Vegas for the annual CTIA show. We stayed at the Paris hotel, one of my favorites because it's not overwhelming and is clean and Disneyesque in its capture of stereotypical France.

Anyway, there was apparently a wine show going on at the hotel for the first couple of days. I happened across several open suites hosting various tastings. I didn't have the guts to walk in and try some but that isn't the point.

I was at the LV convention center attending the show when my friend Andy called from the hotel. Excited, he couldn't wait to tell me that he rode an elevator with George Lucas. The funny thing is that he is the most outgoing person I know but he was speechless around Lucas. We come from the Star Wars generation (I was ten when the movie premiered) so Lucas' work had a profound, major impact on our lives.

Because he knew nobody would believe him, for the rest of the night he kept pointing out men who resembled (or didn't) Lucas and saying "There he is!!!" Everybody got a big kick out of it.

The really funny thing happened the next morning. We were standing in line for a restaurant and chatting about seeing George Lucas when all of a sudden Andy exclaimed "There he is!" I turned to look where he was pointing and sure enough, there was the legend himself walking along the faux-cobblestone street chatting with an older, taller man. I was struck by how short GL was but of course camera angles can conceal much. He's also much thinner than he appears on TV but its true cameras add pounds to everyone.

No comments:

Blink XT2 Thumbnail Failed Fix

Well, this is a bit frustrating. I have one outdoor Blink XT2 camera from Amazon which I installed about a year and a half ago...or maybe tw...