Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Pink Rubber Bands

I guess I was naive to think people would not take this whole rubber wristband thing, which was originally a very noble effort, and turn it into a fashion enterprise Pink Susan Komen Wristbands

When Nike and Lance first developed the concept I was intrigued. I tried to order some of the first ones and they were on back order. When I finally received my shipment in August I wore mine with pride. I gave out several and told everyone where they could get their own and what the purpose of the foundation was.

I was first disgusted when I went into a shopping mall around Christmas time and saw a cart vendor hocking them for about $5 each. Next a Carolina Panthers player started selling poor-quality latex bands. Then I started seeing other stores (Hallmark, 7-eleven, etc.) hocking their own version of the bands for their own charities.

I think it has cheapened the meaning of Lance's crusade. Livestrong was unique and it was a unique way to honor Lance, his incredible achievements, and the incredible work his foundation does. The uniqueness was what made it so special.

I have no problem with other charities raising funds but why did they have to steal the concept of the rubber bands? I guess it is the American way isn't it?

No comments:

Blink XT2 Thumbnail Failed Fix

Well, this is a bit frustrating. I have one outdoor Blink XT2 camera from Amazon which I installed about a year and a half ago...or maybe tw...